Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Welcome to Hell. I mean Private School. Part 1: Junior High

The title alone perfectly describes my high-school experience.  I do not ever want to go through any of it again.  My children, should I ever have or adopt any, will never set foot on the grounds of that school unless I know for a fact that it has drastically changed for the better since I was last there.

This is not going to be a humorous rant in the slightest.  Nor do I intend it to be.  I will not directly name names, nor will I make any attempt to exaggerate things.  I will do my best to be completely honest about it.  There will be a lot of hate and anguish coming out of this post.  Most of it is because of what happened to me there, and the deep psychological effects it has had on me.

The very first thing to keep in mind is that this was not a school with a history of gang-related violence or anything terrible like that.  This was a private Christian school.  At least in name only.  In practice, the faculty didn't act the part (but were really great at talking the part), and the students didn't even try to talk the part.  There were only a few exceptions to this rule.  Most of the faculty that actually did care have either been teaching there since before it went to hell or left after no more than two years there if they started after it went to hell.  As for the students, I have respect for only a few of them.

The problem started with the superintendent of the school.  He didn't give the slightest fuck about the students.  His only care was making sure the school didn't get any negative press.  This was actually the entire topic of one of the lectures that I was given.  That's right; he didn't even bother to try and hide it.  As for why I was given that lecture, just keep reading.  You'll find out eventually.

Some of the more terrible examples of the superintendent come from how totally lazy he was.  He was too lazy to walk to the elementary school building, a walk that took 3 minutes at the most; instead, he used a segway.  Unlike the groundskeeper and his golf cart - which he used to keep all his equipment with him as he worked, there is no excuse for the superintendent using a segway.

But he wasn't the first sign that this school was big trouble.  It started in junior high, where I can name only one teacher who actually cared.  She also was the only one that could really teach.  She retired after I moved on to high school, since she was getting old.  The rest, well, they might as well have told me to go fuck myself whenever I asked them for help with a bully problem.

Oh yeah, there was a massive bully problem because of this.  Naturally, I was the target, because I was the new kid.  Oh, but it wasn't just name calling.  It went much beyond that.  The regular teacher response was "oh, just ignore them."  Sorry, but there are two problems with that.  One, if you react once, THEY WILL NEVER. FUCKING. STOP.  EVER!  It doesn't work one bit.  Two, it's kind of hard to ignore them WHEN THEY'RE FUCKING BEATING YOU AND SHOVING THEIR HANDS WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG.  (This all actually happened on more than one occasion.)  Again, just ignore them was the only response.  I think once a teacher told the other to stop it, and didn't even enforce the command at all.

Once the bullies realized that the teachers didn't care at all, at this point, they decided to go after me even more.  At this point I was just infuriated.  Nobody did fucking anything about it, so I saw that I had no choice but to do something about it myself.  I started fighting back.  And apparently that makes me the problem child.  I was the one getting into trouble in every instance.  Once the bully also got into trouble.  But that was it.  They didn't even care to investigate.  They just naturally assumed that I was a problem child.

Seeing as how the bullies could get away with anything, they decided to start a rumor about me.  Naturally, that I had a death list and was going to shoot up everybody at the school.  Under normal conditions, this kind of rumor would go unnoticed, and be laughed at for being ridiculous.  But because it was me, the school's problem child, the faculty didn't think so.  They called the cops on me.  I had to talk to the police about a rumor, and my parents were there.  I had to try my best to calmly explain everything.  Somehow, I wasn't locked up without a trial, which is what I was expecting at this point.  Even after all this, they still didn't care!  If I remember correctly, it was at this point that the superintendent gave me that lecture about not wanting the press to hear about it.  Today, I would have marched straight over to the local newspaper and told somebody about it.  About how THEY CALLED THE POLICE OVER A FUCKING RUMOR DESIGNED TO MAKE LIFE MISERABLE FOR THE EASY TARGET THEY DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT!

What I love is that it was only now that the school started investigating.  Only they were working for the bullies instead.  Somehow, the school managed to pick up so many incriminating pieces of evidence against me that were taken completely out of context.  One example is when I was talking guns with one of the few people who didn't hate me and mentioned that my dad owned an SKS rifle.  Apparently, the school thought that this was the gun I would use.  Never mind that at this point in time I had never even seen the thing.  Another brilliant example is that I once waited in ambush of somebody with a sharpened pencil.  The truth is that it was outside of the high school art room.  I carried the pencils with me because, like everybody else in the class, I didn't want to bring my whole backpack with me when all I needed was the pencils.  No; For me, that was the weapon.  Plus, I was waiting there to talk with who I believe was the same friend I mentioned the SKS to.  If I remember correctly, I got kicked out of class there for violently complaining about the bully problem, and was waiting for the class to end so I could talk to my friend a bit on the walk back so that I could calm down.  It truly is amazing the dirt they kicked up against me.

I really should have known better at this point.  I should have absolutely begged my parents to send me to another school.  I should have begged to go to the local gang-infested public high-school in a terrible neighborhood.  Even that would have been better than my experiences at high school.

Oh, and it only got worse when I actually got to high school.

15 comments:

  1. Im sorry you had to go through all this in high school and those around you should have stopped it but does talking crap on the school and the superintendant really make you feel that much better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.

    By the way, didn't I mentioned that none of this was crap? Didn't I mention that to my knowledge everything I said is absolutely true? Sorry, but under my definition that's not talking crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just because its true doesn't make it okay to talk about the negative parts of something. I understand you had a bad experience but most people look back on high school and don't like what they see. People who saw should have stood up for you and teachers should have tried to stop it. That one teacher you had in junior high school wanted you to be a better person and believed that you could. She knew you could rise above it. Would she be proud of you if she looked at this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Amanda. You are part of the problem. Get off of my blog now.

    Why do I think that: apparently, you believe that it's wrong to ever negatively criticize anyone. No matter how deserving they are of it. Which, by the way, is exactly what you're doing to my blog post: negatively criticizing it. You're a total hypocrite in your own words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gladly will because I can tell there's no point in arguing with you about this. But don't say Im part of the problem when you have no idea what junior high and high school was like for me. And no one EVER deserves to be treated badly isn't that what you are arguing for? But yet you do it to the school and the superintendant there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Allow me to restore the deleted comments.
    Part 1:


    luke said...
    Matt DeWall was definetly the friend mentioned.


    luke said...
    For the record this guy was also a crazy man in the art class. He hit a girl with a chair and also tried to ambush one of the kids in our class with a pencil. He also jumped on the desks and threw erasers and markers in another class. He is a damn liar. I do sympathize for him though. There was no deathlist like many claim, and he was bullied.


    iLag said...
    I love the hypocrisy in your comment. You're calling me a "damn liar," yet not one of the accusations you mentioned were true. I especially love how you mentioned the pencil ambush, which as I already explained IN THE BLOG POST ITSELF exactly how it didn't happen. But don't take my word; ask the guy I allegedly waited in ambush for. He didn't even know about it until after we were both in front of the incompetent superintendent. You should be able to figure out who this was I allegedly ambushed, considering that we clearly went to the same school. Then again, considering that you think Matt was the friend...


    Pelewatsons said...
    What a hypocrite. I am pretty sure this guy only "talked the talk" back in jr. high also, so let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Regarding Lyon, I'm sure the guy didn't care, but don't bag on him for using a segway when it took you 20 minutes to walk a damn mile in P.E.! (Talk about lazy). The guy had knee problems, so relax pal. Also Anema wasn't the only good teacher, but she did stand up for you and I have mad respect for that. Mrs. Kelly could teach also though....did you forget that? Or maybe it was because you did not get into the algebra class you thought you would and didn't like her for that, idk. You were the new kid, I'll give you that, but you came in 6th grade and had a year to work things out before jr. high, even though I'm positive the bullying would have persisted. People called the cops on you huh? Well I know you called the cops on others too and brought innocent people into questioning-hence problem child. And who mentioned the gun to the school? You're friend? Or not so much a friend? Lastly, did this rant mention your outlandish rages in Hoek's class when you didn't get your way? No...but I'm sure you're all grown up now. Joel you gotta tell the facts, there are so many holes in what I just read. You may think I am attacking you, but I'm just calling it as it was, not as you saw it. BTW what kind of glasses were you wearing back then to come up with this crap? You must have been seeing things that weren't there and leaving out things that were. Can't wait for part 2!

    luke said...
    Let's put it this way. Much like Luke in the Bible, I was an eyewitness to many of your actions that were included in this rant and were not. However, you were not the Christ, sadly, not even close. You are a pharisee my friend. And why should I accept your words as truth? The ambush did happen and the climbing on desks and throwing things did happen. I was there. I saw the whole thing. To deny this is to deny truth. Bottom line. "Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue is but for a moment"- Proverbs 12:19

    ReplyDelete
  15. Deleted comments restored: Part 2:


    iLag said...
    @luke
    My reaction: AHAHAHAHAHAHA! You just made my day. Congrats.
    Wait, were you being serious? If so, then I thought I had problems.

    @Pelewatsons
    Actually, it was only 18 minutes the very first time I ran the mile. After that, my average was 12, which was never the worst in my class.
    I really love how you say you're not attacking me, but at the same time you're saying things like, "what kind of glasses were you wearing back then to come up with this crap?" That's an attack right there by my definition.
    Additionally, I have a few questions for you:
    When did I ever mention Anema? Or Mrs Kelly? Or Hoek? Last I checked, I wasn't naming names, and here you are.
    When did I ever call the cops on anyone?
    Can you name some of these holes in this post you see?
    Why do I have absolutely no memory of this Hoek?
    Why do I get the feeling that you and luke are BFFs double-teaming to continue doing the exact same things you did in school?
    Why are you two hiding behind false names? If you want to name names, start with your own.


    luke said...
    .

    Pelewatsons said...
    .

    ReplyDelete

Copyright Notice:

All text (unless otherwise attributed) is copyright (C) 2011-2014 Joel "iLag" Hammond and licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0 License.
Creative Commons License